Monday, August 27, 2007

Pure Sports: Female Jugglers

Two more juggling posts at least, reader. I know, I know, but really, there's not much else going on, and like I said, I'm rather busy nowadays. I don't have cable, so I can't give you insightful analysis of the WNBA play-offs.

I find it oddly soothing to sit back and watch the pins/balls rotate in the air to music. This one is for the female jugglers that I found on Youtube, and then I'll have two more for male jugglers and team jugglers at some point. Juggling seems to be a sport where women might be able to beat men, because of the emphasis on touch and control. I'm not sure, but I believe women are a little better at precise handiwork than men, based on scientific studies? Anyway, take a look and see if you think you could do as well.
Before I show off just how good the Russian girl is at this, here's an American girl juggling to impress her juggler boyfriend.


Caution: The following video is rated "A" for adorable. Olga Galchenko, 6 years old, juggling 3 balls at once. I can't do that now. More info about her and her brother, the juggling prodigies, at Wikipedia and Time



Olga attended circus school in Russia, where she was trained quite well in her juggling. 12 years old. Kick-up into 5 clubs. What's that? Watch.


5 clubs, on a unicycle:


5 clubs, while doing a split. Watch the end. Ouch! ha.


Here's a longer video of her practicing her solo act, still 12.


Olga and her brother then got "extraordinary talent" visas to come to the US. Olga is 17 now, starting college somewhere in the US. As always, check http://www.galchenko.com for more. Here's her act at 15 at the World Juggling Federation competition:

2 comments:

  1. In all seriousness, what is "dad" looking at in the second video?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a minor correction. The objects you call pins are called clubs.

    ReplyDelete