Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Alison the Pole Vaulter Controversy, Personal Reaction I

By now, most of you have seen the recent deadspin.com coverage of the controversy surrounding Alison, the high school girl whose skills in the pole vault have earned her a scholarship at Berkeley. The controversy exists because Alison's pictures are being ogled at while she is still in high school.

When I first saw the pictures on withleather.com and thebiglead.com, Alison reminded me of a good friend of mine in high school. I became nostalgic, remembering the old friendship and good times. I'm sure if I were her age and in high school, I would have embarrassed myself with IM's to her like this:

NerdyMCBias (8:23 PM): Hey Alison
NerdyMCBias (8:25 PM): Good job in that competition yesterday. First place again!
AlisonPV (8:25 PM): Hey
AlisonPV (8:25 PM): Thx
NerdyMCBias (8:29 PM): Well, I don't want to hold you up too much.
NerdyMCBias (8:30 PM): Studying for English tomorrow?
AlisonPV (8:30 PM): Yep. Got to stay eligible!
NerdyMCBias (8:30 PM): Let me know if you need any help!
AlisonPV (8:31 PM): Sure. :-) Later.
NerdyMCBias (8:32 PM): Bye

NerdyMCBias to self (8:33 PM): Wow! I got an exclamation point AND a smiley-face this time! Yes! Definitely making progress!

AlisonPV to self (8:33 PM): I'd block him, but he's too shy to do anything worth blocking him over. Only 4 more months before Berkeley, Alison, and you can leave his kind behind. No weirdos there! Oh, wait...

Oh, those were the days. "LOL" AIM is a dangerous instrument in the hands of a socially awkward teenager. (And for the record, no, I wasn't that bad in high school (WORSE!)).

Because this post got so gigundilicious, I split it into three parts; continue reading below. And yes, I wrote most of these posts (except for part 3) a month ago, but stopped because I thought the controversy was going to go away and didn't want to start it back up. Um, so much for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment